Saturday, September 17, 2005

 

Learning Curve

Kaiser offers a whole series of classes for expectant parents. They are meant to be taken spread out over the 9 months before the birth. Well, guess which parents-to-be start Tuesday? Every Tuesday evening, and a couple of Saturdays between now and D-day (due day) we'll be learning important things about newborn care (including "Back to Sleep" I'm sure), Post-partum care, Labor & Delivery, Breastfeeding etc. I'm suddenly thinking I should have shadowed one of our OBGYN rotations!

Normally, we are eager for education, but I've talked to a couple of people who've taken these types of clsses who were sorely disappointed (not to mention bored out of their skulls). There is no accommodation for people who've already read the manual (yes, there is a manual! Kaiser provides "You and Your Baby"- which I've read at least!). Things (I have heard) are taught to the lowest common denominator (something around a 6th grade education). This can be mind numbing, but also highly entertaining when you hear some of the questions people without a clue ask.

But then again, I've already admitted to being a daddy-without-a-clue myself. I'll probably be surprised by how much I learn. As long as it isn't fear-mongering like "What to expect when you are expecting"!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?